7.01.2014

i wish for more moments of clarity

Berlin. Motion. Hair.
Photography captivates me for many reasons. I have over 20,000 photos on Flickr and I can, on some level, remember them all. Street photography has always been my preferred form. The spontaneousness of it. The stress and creative adrenaline that appears in nanoseconds when a shot appears and the hand reaches instinctively for the camera while the unblinking eyes keep tracking the imminent shot. The "click" or "clicks" are a punctuation mark. A period or an exclamation mark most often, but sometimes a semi-colon, comma or even a question mark that ends the moment that was captured. I dreamt last night about this shot. Who knows why. I have favourites, sure, and this is one of them. But it came to me in a dream. This woman, this moment. I have thought about it all morning. I took it in Berlin in 2007. It was a fleeting moment in Mitte, shot through a café window. There was a relationshp between us - two strangers, photographer and subject - for not more than 3 seconds. Then it was gone. For me, THAT is street photography. Living and creating in fragments of time, in moments of clarity. Fragmented moments that are, however, allowed to live on through photography. Emotions and memories recorded.

No comments: